Monday, September 2, 2013

September Gratitude And Other Musings

It is the last weekend of summer. Today is Labor Day and as I eagerly contemplate the cooler weather to come, I will beat the Thanksgiving rush and proclaim those things for which I am today most profoundly grateful--my health, my human family, and especially my rabbits.

Today all is good with them. Indeed, I have been so happy to see my elder bun, Cinnamon, run and jump about like a young bunny these days, even leaping over a barrier in my living room in an attempt to sneak behind the sofa and cause a heap of trouble (fortunately I was able to get her before she could get too far). I know how suddenly things can change and a GI stasis attack could always be around the corner. And even though I have had rabbits in my life since 2002, I can tell you the stress of dealing with rabbit health issues never gets easier. So when things are calm and cool, I try to take the time to savor the peace and joy of seeing my rabbits happy and healthy and hope that this time stretches out as long as it can.

From my study window, I can see the leaves just starting to turn on the tree in front of my condo building. I love autumn colors, but lament when the trees will be bare. I sigh when I think of the absence of bird song in the morning and the ever-growing chill as winter weather approaches. I do hope we have a true autumn, a transitional period, rather than leap from hot to cold, but these days, thanks to climate change, the weather is all too unpredictable.

The best part of fall, though, is the transition to heartier foods. I prefer autumn and winter soups and stews to lighter cooler summer fare. I look forward to making Gardein beefless stew, curried sweet potato soup, etc. Soon pumpkins will be everywhere to buy for pies or just simple decoration. And of course, the next thing you know, Halloween will be here. (Of course, the candy has only been stocked in the local supermarkets since the end of July!)

So what awaits us in the fall? Good health I hope for everyone, my mom, me, and the buns.  Benjamin will be due soon for his annual vet visit. Cinnamon will, I hope, keep healthy and active. I vow to continue my yoga (and in a few weeks, more water aerobics classes) to keep myself in shape in order to fully appreciate my 49th autumn in this life.

Happy September, everyone!

The Hoppy Vegan

No comments:

Post a Comment